A press release is a real marketing tool not to spread the word about your video contents. Getting published in media or popular blogs gives you immediate and free access to thousands of potential customers.
In addition to this article, if you want to know how to connect with influencers, read our article “How to use influencers to develop your business video”
But writing a good press release is an art. That’s why there are press communication professional and media coordinators. In this article we’ll give you some tips to make an efficient press release that will be published.
1. STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD
Everyday journalists receive hundreds of press releases. Here are some basic rules to get noticied:
> TARGET THE RIGHT JOURNALIST:
Sending a too broad audience does not work. You will end up in SPAMs which will degrade your general campaign sendings. So, if you’re targeting movie journalists, do not write to those who publish articles about economics or fashion.
> BE CLEAR AND IMPACTING IN THE SUBJECT:
Specify field of your communication: cinema, lifestyle, original creation etc …
Use 3rd person text, ideally include a data which is intruiguing. Try to be “rudder”, without lying on the content. You can take inspiration from sites like buzzfeed or minutebuzz, which are very good to find catchy titles that make you want to click. Do not forget you want to push people opening your press release.
2. FACILITATE JOURNALIST WORK
The main challenge is to ease the work of your recipients. Here are some simple tips:
- Give arguments to be published. You can choose one of the following angles:
– A new or innovative aspect: the topic of your content is unpublished? The direction is original or the way it was produced or distributed is new? So focus on it. For example, self-distribution via a service like OKAST is quite original.
– Closeness: journalists like to talk about what is going on around. Play the local card when you can (for example, the location may interest a regional newspaper etc …).
– Unusual side: you can even be provocative in your approach, some reporters love potential buzz.
– Exclusivity: giving a period of exclusivity allows to give a certain value to your information.
– Event or tangible subject: if you can, associate a real or tangible event, such as a preview projection, a press conference, a party etc. This sometimes gives an argument to publish an article or a subject.
- Add data/figures about your domain or the theme of your content (with sources). Remind your reader how your topic is important right now. For example: if you have self-produced, you can show how this trend is increasing (based on figures from video consumption or trend towards disintermediation). Or if you have a documentary on a topic remember stakes (economic, ecological, etc …) associated.
- Put quotes. Write yourself a verbatim about your film. Or cite someone who contributed to your project. Produce content that can be picked up in the article, a trailer, a short video of you in the form of an interview or even an infography.
- Have a professional, impeccable statement. The goal: that the journalist has almost a copy / pasted to do. To do this, it is enough to respect the classical format that we will see now.
3. WRITE PROFESSIONAL PRESS RELEASE
Be concise and clear. Maximum 2 pages. Use a word or PDF format to empower copy / paste. Ideally add a picture and a link to a video.
For the structure, follow the following form:
A / TITLE
Think about a story told a the 3rd person. Add a word or hashtags to specify the domain (E-cinema, VOD, etc …).
Just above the title, make it clear that it is a press release and add the date.
B / INTRODUCTIVE PARAGRAPH
Insert a small text, to make people want to read the rest of the article.
C / FIRST PARAGRAPH (WITH TITLE)
In the first paragraph, talk about the main purpose of your press release. If you do not know how to start, answer the following questions: Who? When? Or? Why? How?
D / SECOND PARAGRAPH (WITH TITLE)
In the second paragraph, give generalist details about you, your company, your story etc. At this point you can also add quotes from yourself or from people who have collaborated on your project.
E / CONTACT AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Give all information to contact someone if needed (email, phone, job position). Feel free to indicate that you are available for an interview for example.
Here also you can put useful links: to your site, to your trailer, to an online file with images, to your social networks. You can also send a free copy or link to access your contents.
First, we recommend that you make a PDF version that you put in a Cloud folder (Google Drive or Dropbox) with images and / or videos.
On timing, if you have no constraint prefer Tuesdays or Thursdays with an early morning dispatch (before 9am).
SEND BY E-MAIL:
Put the release in the body of the email (not as an enclosed file so as not to overload the email box of your recipients) with a link to your cloud folder where everything will be accessible (and downloadable).
For more information on how to interact with journalists / bloggers, read our article on the influencers
PRESS RELEASE RELEASE SITE:
There are online platforms that can take care of disseminating your press release (if you want to put some budget), such as http://pressking.com; http://www.24presse.com; https://www.prlog.org
So go write the perfect press release, media coverage does not wait!
If you are interested to create a premium video service, register for free here
The OKAST Team.